October 17, 2012
Mitsubishi Corporation Enters Geothermal Power Business in Indonesia
Aiming to expand its business in the renewable energy sector, Mitsubishi Corporation (“MC”) has agreed to acquire 20% shares of Star Energy Geothermal Pte Ltd. (“SEGPL”). SEGPL is a holding company that manages operation of the Wayang Windu Geothermal Power Project Plant (“Wayang Windu”), a geothermal power plant stably operating since June, 2000 in Java Island of Indonesia.
Wayang Windu, which owns approximately 13,000 hectares of contract area, is known as one of the world’s largest geothermal resources with a potential gross capacity of 420MW. Located in the midst of a vast expanse of a tea plantation, it is also known to be one of the world’s most environmentally friendly and beautiful geothermal plants.
This acquisition marks MC’s‘first entry into the Indonesian power industry and its first operation of a geothermal power plant. Through SEGPL, MC is aiming to develop and operate multiple geothermal power plants in Indonesia, including the expansion of Wayang Windu.
Driven by domestic demand, Indonesia has maintained a high rate of economic growth, and Java Island, where Indonesia’s population and industry is concentrated, is expected to see a 7 to 8 percent annual growth in demand for electricity in the coming years. Accordingly, Indonesia has declared the development of new sources of power as a national priority, and is aiming to make use of its estimated 29,000 MW of world class geothermal reserves. The country plans to focus on developing geothermal power which is notable for its high operating rate compared to other sources of renewable energy as well as for its environmental friendliness. According to this plan, new geothermal power plants with a total capacity of around 6,000 MW will be developed by 2020.
Within this context, MC intends to take full advantage of the experience it has accumulated in the power generating sector to date, and the know-how it expects to acquire through operating Wayang Windu, in an effort to contribute to the realization of Indonesia’s aforementioned development plan. MC also hopes to become further involved in geothermal power generation in countries that possess promising geothermal resources, including Japan..
MC has designated “Infrastructure and Global Environment Business” as a strategic domain in its Midterm Corporate Strategy 2012, and is actively seeking to expand its power generation and transmission business, particularly as it relates to renewable energy, as well as to environment, water and infrastructure businesses. More particularly with regard to the power generation business, MC plans to expand its equity-based capacity from the existing 4,300 MW to 6,000 MW and to achieve a rate of 10 to 20% of that capacity emanating from renewable sources such as geothermal, wind and photovoltaic power generation.
Wayang Windu Geothermal Power Project Plant
1. Chart on Investment Scheme
2. Wayang Windu Power Plant
(1) Location : Bandung, West Java, Java Island, Indonesia
(2) Capacity : 230 MW in operation. (Phase 1 (110 MW) commenced operation in June, 2000, Phase 2 (120 MW) in March, 2009.) Construction of Phase 3 and Phase 4 is expected (gross capacity of 190 MW).
(3) Off-taker : PT PLN (Persero)
(4) Notes : The Phase 2 Project was registered as a Clean Development Mechanism Project in December, 2010.
3. Star Energy Geothermal Pte Ltd.
(1) Location : Singapore
(2) Foundation : December, 2005
(3) Capital : US$ 213 Million
(4) Representative : Mr. Rudy Suparman, Director
4. Mitsubishi Corporation
(1) Head Office : 3-1, Marunouchi 2-Chome, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8086, Japan
(2) Year of establishment : 1950
(3) Capital : JPY 204 billion
(4) Main Business Activities: Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) is a global integrated business enterprise that develops and operates businesses across virtually every industry including industrial finance, energy, metals, machinery, chemicals, foods, and environmental business. MC's current activities are expanding far beyond its traditional trading operations as its diverse business ranges from natural resources development to investment in retail business, infrastructure, financial products and manufacturing of industrial goods.
(5) Sales : JPY20,126 billion
(6) Number of Employees : 63,058 (as of March 31, 2012)
(7) Representative: Ken Kobayashi, President and Chief Executive Officer
Inquiry RecipientMitsubishi Corporation
Telephone:+81-3-3210-2171 ／ / Facsimile:+81-3-5252-7705