December 25, 2015
Mitsubishi Corporation and Lawson to Start Selling Electricity
With Japan set to fully liberalize electricity sales in April 2016, Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) and Lawson, Inc. have decided to enter the household electricity retailing business. The two companies have completed their application to the Agency for Natural Resources and Energy at the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry to register as an electricity retailer through the joint stock company, MC Retail Energy, Co., Ltd. The new company will start receiving advance orders for electricity services from February 2016, with actual supply set to begin in April 2016. Establishing a record as the first convenience store in Japan to enter the electricity retailing business, MC Retail Energy will mainly supply households and small offices.
MC Retail Energy’s electricity supply will be centered around the Kanto Region. Under its tentatively dubbed “Machi-Ene” brand name, MC Retail Energy is aiming to provide electricity services that offer “dependability”, “good value” and “convenience” to local communities. Once the specifics, including reasonable and easy-to-select tariff plans and benefits related to Lawson’s customer loyalty points program, Ponta, are finalized, notice of MC Retail Energy’s services will be issued through Lawson’s approximately 4,000 convenience stores across the Kanto region.
From power generation to electricity retailing, MC has built up a wealth of experience in the electricity business in both the domestic and foreign markets and is aiming to further expand the base of its electricity business. Lawson, in keeping with its corporate mission of “Creating Happiness and Harmony in Our Communities,” sees entering the electricity business as another way to help improve infrastructure in local communities and increase convenience for customers.
1. Mitsubishi Corporation
(1) Headquarters : 2-3-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8086 Japan
(2) Business Activities :
Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) has seven Business Groups which develop operations in the diverse fields of Global Environmental & Infrastructure; Industrial Finance, Logistics & Development; Energy; Metals; Machinery; Chemicals; and Living Essentials. In addition to these Business Groups, MC has also recently established its Business Service Group. Through these business groups, Mitsubishi Corporation serves customers around the world in virtually every industry.
(3) Representative : Ken Kobayashi, President and CEO
(4) Founded : 1954
(5) No. of Employees : 71,994 (consolidated, as of March 31, 2015)
2. Lawson, Inc.
(1) Headquarters : 1-11-2 Osaki, Shinagawa-Ku, Tokyo, 141-8643 Japan
(2) Business Activities : Franchise chain development of "Lawson", "Lawson Store 100" and "Natural Lawson"
(3) Representative : Genichi Tamatsuka, President and CEO, Representative Director
(4) Founded : 1975
(5) No. of Employees : 7,606 (consolidated, as of February 28, 2015)
3. MC Retail Energy Co., Ltd.
(1) Headquarters : 1-32 Shibadaimon, Minato-Ku, Tokyo
(2) Business Activities : Electricity retailing
(3) Representative : Norio Matsunaga, President
(4) Founded : November 11, 2015
(5) Capital: 250 million Yen
(6) Shareholding: MC 84%, Lawson 16%
Inquiry RecipientMitsubishi Corporation
Telephone:+81-3-3210-2171 / Facsimile:+81-3-5252-7705
Inquiry RecipientLawson, Inc.