Mitsubishi Corporation

Press Room

March 28, 2017
Mitsubishi Corporation

Mitsubishi Corporation to Set Up Hospital Management Venture in Myanmar
Venture aims to provide Japanese quality medical care and help improve healthcare standards in Myanmar

Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) has agreed to form a hospital management joint venture in Myanmar with plans to open a general hospital in Yangon in 2020. MC will hold a 30% equity share in the joint venture, while Yee Shin Holdings (Yee Shin) and Capital Diamond Star Group (CDSG) will share the remaining 70%.
MC’s involvement in the field of healthcare primarily through the distribution and sales of medical devices and supplies, but the company regards hospital management as a growth field over the medium- to long-term.  This project is a first step in pursuit of this area, aiming to engage in hospital management in fast-growing Myanmar.In Myanmar, many people travel abroad to receive medical services in neighboring countries such as Thailand and Singapore.  The new joint venture will construct a 300-bed general hospital in Yangon, equipped with the capacity to provide high quality medical care.  Leveraging CDSG’s diversified business network in Myanmar, the hospital will be constructed in the integrated development complex “Capital City” (※2).  Yee Shin will provide hospital management expertise, developed through its management experience of two hospitals in Mandalay.
MC will complement CDSG and Yee Shin’s strengths by bringing in Japanese quality medical care to the joint venture.  The joint venture aims to realize safe, high-quality healthcare services locally in Myanmar, contributing to the overall improvement of medical standards in the country.
(※1)  MC and CDSG have collaborated in other joint ventures together, including the food manufacturing and distribution company, Lluvia Limited.
(※2)  “Capital City” is an integrated development complex in Yangon managed by Capital Development Limited, a member of CDSG, and includes the construction of a shopping mall and condominium complex.
Exterior Design of the New Hospital (Image)
Reference Information
1. Overview of Mitsubishi Corporation
  1. Location: 3-1, Marunouchi 2-chome, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan
  2. Year Established: 1950
  3. Areas of Business :
  4. MC is a global integrated business enterprise that develops and operates business across virtually every industry including industrial finance, energy, metals, machinery, chemicals, foods, and environmental business. MC’s current activities are expanding far beyond its traditional trading operations as its diverse business ranges from natural resources development to investment in retail business, infrastructure, financial products and manufacturing of industrial goods.
  5. Number of Employees: 68,247 (consolidated, as of March 2016)
  6. Representative: Takehiko Kakiuchi, President and CEO
2. Overview of Yee Shin Holdings
  1. Location: Mandalay, Myanmar
  2. Year Established: 1990
  3. Areas of business:
Yee Shin Holdings operates two general hospitals in the Mandalay region and engages in businesses associated with the healthcare industry, such as the manufacturing, distribution and retail of hospital supplies, medical equipment and pharmaceutical products, among other businesses.
  1. Number of Employees: Approx. 1,400
  2. Representative: U Maung Maung, Chairman
3. Overview of Capital Diamond Star Group
  1. Location: Yangon, Myanmar
  2. Year Established: 1960
  3. Areas of business: CDSG is engaged in a number of different sectors in Myanmar including food, manufacturing and distribution, agribusiness, retail, real estate, healthcare, and financial services, amongst other investments. The JV will build the hospital in Yangon’s “Capital City,” an integrated complex developed by Capital Development Limited, a member of CDSG.
  4. Number of Employees: Approx. 6,500
  5. Representative: U Ko Ko Gyi, Managing Director

Inquiry Recipient

Mitsubishi Corporation
Telephone:+81-3-3210-2171 / Facsimile:+81-3-5252-7705